In a number of previous entries, we’ve talked about how to keep yourself safe from other drivers. The most recent article dealt with how to spot a drunk driver.
In this issue, we’ll talk about what to do when you have an emergency with your own vehicle while on the road.
What do I do if my vehicle has brake failure?
Your #1 priority is two-fold: (1) get your car to a safe place, and (2) bring it to a stop as soon as possible.
- Whether your car is automatic or stick, shift it into low gear to help with slowing it down;
- For ABS (antilock brake system), brake firmly while continuing to steer;
- For standard brakes, pump the brakes with short taps;
- Once you have the vehicle stopped, do not attempt to drive it further; instead, call for help and have your vehicle towed to a mechanic.
What should I do if my tire blows out?
If you’re driving while a tire blows, your vehicle will slow down at first, then pull strongly to the right or left, depending on which side of the vehicle the blown tire is on.
- Maintain a firm grip on the steering wheel;
- Don’t push down on brakes, instead let your vehicle gradually slow down; and
- Pull to side of road and activate hazard lights.
What should I do if my accelerator (gas pedal) sticks?
- While keeping your eyes on the road, lightly tap your gas pedal just a few times to see if it springs back to normal setting;
- Shift into neutral gear and begin to press the brakes;
- Be on the lookout for a safe area to pull over once you’ve reached a slow enough speed;
- If your vehicle has a start on/off button, hold it down for at least 3 seconds to turn off the vehicle but do not tap it repeatedly;
- When you’ve come to a stop, turn the engine off; and
- Don’t drive your vehicle until it’s been professionally serviced.
If You’re Injured By Someone Else, Call Barber & Associates
Our roads are dangerous enough, so it’s crucial that you keep your wits about you as you’re out and about.
If you are injured by someone else on the road, get in touch with us here at Barber & Associates.
The first meeting is always free, so call us at 907-276-5858 or send an email.