It’s difficult to believe that 2018 is upon us. Unsurprisingly, the last day of one year and the first day (January 1) of another year are among the most dangerous times to be on the road. That’s saying a lot when you consider that nearly 29 people in the U.S. lose their lives in alcohol-impaired vehicle crashes.
If you absolutely have to be on the road New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, here are a few tips to stay safe from those drivers under the influence who have no business being on the road.
(1) Reduce chances of being hit by a drunk driver.
There aren’t any guarantees in life, but you can drastically reduce the chances of being hit by a drunk driver by:
- Staying off the roads between 8pm and 2am;
- As oncoming traffic approaches, drive slightly on the right side of your lane, and maintain a safe distance between you and other vehicles;
- Making sure your vehicle is properly maintained – especially your tires; and
- Notify police if you see a driver behaving erratically. .
(2) Have a designated driver.
If you’ve been drinking even a small amount of alcohol, do not get behind the wheel of your vehicle. Ask a sober friend or family member to drive for you, hire a taxi or make use of that Uber or Lyft app
(3) If you’re hosting a New Year’s party:
- Have rides lined up for you guests;
- Have plenty of non-alcoholic drinks – especially water, juice and soda – on hand;
- Offer plenty of food for your guests;
- Stop serving alcohol long before the party ends;
- If you don’t have rides arranged for your guests, invite them to sleep over.
Injured by another driver in Alaska? Call Barber & Associates.
Here’s to hoping that 2018 is the best yet for you and your family. If, however, you’re injured by another driver, call us here at Barber & Associates.
We’ve recovered more than $45 million in verdicts and settlements for injured Alaskans.
The first meeting is always free, and we’ll fight aggressively to ensure you get the compensation you’re entitled to.
Our number is 907-276-5858 or you can reach us via email.