We talked recently about the importance of seeing a doctor immediately after being involved in an accident. Simply put, an examination by a physician as soon as possible is important to strengthening your personal injury case, and receiving the justice and compensation to which you’re entitled.
However, did you know that what you actually discuss with your doctor is just as important as what’s revealed in the examination itself?
In this issue, the Alaska personal injury lawyers with Barber & Associates will talk more about things to keep in mind as you meet with your physician.
If someone else’s negligence has caused an injury to you, it’s crucial to secure legal representation so fully protect your interests.
What should I talk about with my doctor after being in an accident?
While keeping in mind that your doctor needs as much information as possible, the first piece of advice is to be truthful and cooperative.
With that in mind, be sure to:
- Explain to the doctor circumstances that led to your accident (remember, you may not be aware of some injuries that are slow to appear, so by knowing the circumstances of the accident, your doctor will have a good idea for what to be on the lookout for)
- Discuss all of the symptoms you’re experiencing (whether or not you lost consciousness; where you are experiencing pain; etc.)
- Explain to your doctor any physical or mental difficulties you may be experiencing since the accident occurred
- Talk with your doctor about your options for treatment
- Get a clear understanding from your doctor about your prognosis
- Discuss when you should be able to return to work or resume a normal lifestyle
In addition to starting your road to recovery, seeing your doctor as soon as possible after your accident establishes a record of evidence that will greatly increase the likelihood of getting the justice and compensation you deserve – through either a negotiated settlement or a jury decision.
If you’re injured by someone else, call the Alaska personal injury lawyers at Barber & Associates.
When selecting the right personal injury lawyer for to represent you and your interests, it’s imperative to choose one who is an experienced settlement negotiator but unafraid to take the matters to a courtroom if no settlement is reached.
Here at Barber & Associates, we’ve earned our reputation for aggressively fighting on behalf of Alaskans injured by others. We’ll fight on your behalf for justice and fair compensation so that you can concentrate completely on your recovery.