Retaining a personal injury attorney can be the best way to protect yourself and your loved ones if you are injured in an accident. When you suffer a personal injury, it is important to collect as much compensation as possible to pay for your medical bills, your lost wages when you cannot work and other expenses you incur. Furthermore, many personal injury victims are able to collect sums for their pain and suffering.
However, collecting this compensation can be difficult without the help of a personal injury attorney. While it is theoretically possible to represent yourself in a personal injury case, it is not usually advisable. Insurance companies and others are not eager to pay large amounts of money in settlement and will try to take advantage of victims if possible. You may benefit from having a personal injury attorney like those at Barber & Baker to stand up for your rights
How Do I Know If I Have The Right Personal Injury Attorney?
If hiring a personal injury attorney is so important, how are you to know if you have the right one? There are five important things you should be seeing if you have hired the right personal injury attorney:
- Attention to your concerns. You should be able to ask your attorney any questions and be confident of getting a prompt and courteous reply. Your attorney should be returning your phone calls and emails and sending you regular updates on your case.
- Confidence in your attorney’s decisions. Your attorney should engender trust because he or she knows the personal injury field. If you hire a “general” attorney, you may not get the same quality of service because these attorneys often have little experience with personal injury cases.
- The attorney handles your case personally. You should be communicating with the attorney handling your case, not a paralegal or an associate. Some attorneys take on too much work and delegate cases to their staff, so this can be a sign that you are not a high priority to the lawyer.
- There are no surprises. Your attorney should be honest and transparent about every aspect of your case so that you do not have any surprises at the last minute.
- You are informed of all options. Ethically, your attorney should inform you of all settlement offers, but a good attorney also lays out all of your options and the possible consequences of each.
Barber and Associates, LLC in Anchorage, Alaska, are ready to help you with any personal injury matter. Contact them today to find out more about how you may be able to collect damages from the person or company responsible for your injuries.