What’s the Difference Between Uninsured and Underinsured Vehicle Coverage?

Here in Alaska, all vehicle owners are required to secure insurance. While the minimum requirements for auto insurance coverage are $50,000/$100,000 for bodily injury or death and $25,000 for property damage, the sad truth is that not all drivers will have insurance.

That’s why uninsured and underinsured coverage is so important.

If a driver with no insurance or not enough insurance injured you, would you have any other way to cover the associated medical bills and property damage costs?

In this issue, the Alaska personal injury lawyers with Barber & Associates will explain the differences between uninsured and underinsured vehicle coverage.

Remember, if you’re involved in a car or truck accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and inability to earn a living. Legal representation by a qualified Alaska personal injury lawyer is your best option for receiving the justice and compensation you deserve.

For a free consultation, call the Alaska personal injury lawyers with Barber & Associates at 907-276-5858, send us an email, or get in touch online.

What’s the difference between uninsured and underinsured coverage?

The basic goal of each is to provide you with a level of protection from damages in an auto accident that’s been caused by someone with either no insurance whatsoever or not enough to cover the costs of the damages.

Uninsured motorist insurance is intended to be used to pay for medical expenses and property damage when someone without any insurance whatsoever hits you and your passengers.

Underinsured motorist insurance coverage will kick in if someone with too little insurance coverage to pay for injuries and property damage injures you.

Both can be used to take care of expenses like:

  • Medical bills
  • Lost wages from being unable to work
  • Pain and suffering

How does filing a claim with uninsured or underinsurance coverage work?

If an uninsured or underinsured driver injures you, you will be filing a claim with your own insurance provider.

Having your Alaska personal injury lawyer advise you through this process is recommended as it’s likely that your first claim will either be denied or low-balled by the insurance provider.

If an uninsured or underinsured driver injures you, call the Alaska personal injury lawyers at Barber & Associates.

Here at Barber & Associates, we’ve earned our reputation for aggressively fighting on behalf of Alaskans injured by others. We’ll fight on your behalf for justice and fair compensation so that you can concentrate completely on your recovery.

For a free consultation about your case, call us at 907-276-5858 or reach us via email, or get in touch online.

Leave a Comment